Thursday, April 07, 2011

Yoga, sushi & double bill of the Mentalist. Not much gets done after 9pm, I am full to the brim with homemade sushi & a shop bought doughnut.

I can hardly believe it's Friday tomorrow. I watched a programme lastnight about these teenagers training to represent UK in the International Mathematics Olympiad. It's a world that most people wouldn't even have heard about! It was fascinating how there were 2 of the candidates had Aspergers Syndrome and yet how it had completely affected them in very differing manners. Anyway, that's not what I wanted to blog about, I wanted to talk about Maths.

My passion for maths is for its practical applications. But the guys on the show and most academic mathematicians pursue a more theoretical, almost philosophical passion. The distinction between the two was introduced to me at A-level stages, where maths gets split into Pure and Applied (Mechanics & Statistical).

It got me thinking how it's similar to art!...I need a doodle to articulate what I'm getting at.

1. [arts genius] "I love my Art tree, because from it the view of the world is beautiful"
2. [maths genius] "I love my Maths tree, because from it the view of the world is beautiful"
3. [guy on the ground?] "those guys are away in the clouds"
4. [pragmatist?] "ooh all the commotion on the trees is knocking off fruit, lets make jam"
5. [stubborn artist] "I don't DO maths, I'm an artist"
6. [stubborn mathmo] "I CAN'T draw, I'm a mathematician"
7. [folk finding their feet] "ouch, fell from a branch" I'd say to them, "keep climbing"
8. [polymath] "I found a cool bridge that connects the trees!"
9. [monkey that can leap from tree top to tree top] "muahahaha haha haha haha"


Hey, it's just a brainfart. Don't take me too seriously. But the idea is that, the more specialised you go, the more beauty you find, whether it is in a painting or in a formula. And that we shouldn't be discouraged to climb all different types of trees, who is going to stop you? the tree police? yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment