Keep your eyes peeled fellow design folk and creatives for another chance to design the British coinage.
I wasn't sure about the return to the threepenny 12-sided shape at first, my first concern was for all the automated machines we rely on, and you just know that the public services will be last to change all their machines (library vending, hospital parking).
But then I think back to summer 2010 and I was disgusted by a wave of counterfeit (particularly the 2004 bridge design) and the ignorance of the shop assistants when I refused their change and asked them to give me a real pound coin.
Later, in 2011, I watched an episode of Fake Britain with Dominic Littlewood investigating the amount of counterfeit £1 coins handed over by the high street banks!! No wonder the shop assistants thought they were real, even the banks let so many slip through the system.
So whilst a change in the quid would be a pain, perhaps it will help with reducing the £43.5 million worth of counterfeit coinage thought to be in circulation.
Image from Royal Mint Blog, all rights Royal Mint
Have your say about the new design by taking part in a poll at the Royal Mint blog:
blog.royalmint.com/do-you-like-the-new-1-pound-coin
Fake Britain sr2:1 www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011f4nn

No comments:
Post a Comment